[JOBS] Senior Environmental Engineer position -Korean Nationals – World Bank Group
Sustainable environment and natural resources management (ENRM) is at the heart of the WBG’s poverty agenda. Biodiversity and natural resources constitute the social safety net of the poor, representing a food bank and often their only source of livelihood. Sustainable ENRM promotes a green, clean, and resilient world where natural resources – from forests to fisheries, freshwater, oceans, coastal zones and ecosystems – are managed to support livelihoods and strong economies. Sustainable ENRM builds a world better prepared for shocks and global challenges, helping countries limit their exposure to resource scarcity, more-volatile weather patterns, and the long-term consequences of climate change.
This position will be based in Indonesia and will focus on the Indonesia pollution management program. Indonesia is a global epi-center of terrestrial and marine biodiversity, yet its natural wealth is under threat from deforestation, inefficient fossil fuel use, unsustainable marine practices, air and water pollution and smoke haze from forest and peat fires, water pollution, and heavy metal pollution in rivers from uncontrolled mining. Indonesia is globally the second largest contributor to ocean plastics and has major problems with solid waste management. Only 55% percent of domestic waste collected and only about 30% adequately disposed in sanitary landfills. Indonesia is also a globally significant source of GHG emissions and highly vulnerable to the effects of climate change. Tackling these challenges is a major task in a country in which half the population continues to live on less than USD2 per day and in which some 75 million citizens (half the entire East Asian total) are not yet connected to grid supplied electricity.
Duties and Accountabilities:
• Support and/or possibly lead pollution and solid waste management policy dialog with the government and other stakeholders related to the Bank’s environment or natural resources portfolio. This includes coordination with other financiers, and review of sector policies, strategies, and legislation.
• Play key role in implementation of pollution, waste management, coastal resilience and watershed management agenda in Indonesia; advise borrowers and colleagues on technical matters, supervise the work of consultants and technical specialists to ensure consistency and conformity to Bank standards; evaluate studies and sector-related project documentation.
• Support and/or possibly lead the development and implementation of environment or natural resources lending operations, technical assistance or analytical work, including participation in preparation and supervision missions. Initially there would be a strong emphasis on the development and implementation of the Bank’s pollution, solid waste, coastal resilience and watershed management agenda. This includes leading design/preparation and supervision of tasks and/or components as a technical expert and in collaboration with partner agencies and donors.
This also includes generating ‘think pieces’ and ‘best practice’ papers; handling complex technical, institutional and program implementation issues in the sectors; leading the development of proposals; leading the interface with member governments and agencies in resolving implementation issues.
• Provide and mobilize strategic technical assistance in support of client’s needs to improve capacity for pollution management, solid waste management, coastal resilience and watershed management from within and outside the Bank’s global network.
• Produce and present major/complex reports, including the supervision, coordination and quality control of consultant reports.
• Work independently under the general direction of unit manager, and guide and mentor more junior staff.
• Contribute to knowledge sharing, dissemination and awareness raising activities with key clients.
• Facilitate and maintain effective communication and coordination with government and other local partners, including civil society (environmental and community/indigenous people organizations, etc.), academic/research institutions, the private sector, and bilateral and multilateral development partner agencies.
• Actively seek to learn World Bank Group procedures, and contribute to their improvement, by participating in training offered, by developing a personal training program, keeping abreast of research and development knowledge in the environment and natural resources sector, and relevant safeguard management processes.
• Coordinate and carry out other tasks as requested by the relevant Practice manager such as for example the organization of training or knowledge sharing events, and helping the country office staff with various tasks specific to the management of the office.
• Advanced degree (PhD or Masters) in environment engineering, civil engineering, environmental science, pollution management or related field.
• A minimum of 8 years of full-time relevant professional experience in the environment engineering with hands on experience in solid waste management and pollution management.
• Demonstrated track record working on the practical implementation of technically difficult pollution and engineering related projects is required.
• Deep knowledge of the engineering and technical aspects of solid waste management and pollution management is required.
• Demonstrated track record in project management is required.
• Proven teamwork and successful experience working with multi-disciplinary teams is required.
• Ability to work independently with limited supervision is required.
• Excellent English language skill is required (writing, speaking, listening and reading).
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills are required.
• Willingness to travel extensively, including in rural areas is required.
• A proven track record working with a wide range of stakeholders, senior government officials, NGOs, international organizations, development partners and/or with the government would be an advantage.
• Indonesian (Bahasa) language skill or desire to learn would be an advantage.
Competencies (Level GG, Environmental Engineer)
• Knowledge and Experience in Development Arena – Translates technical and cross-country knowledge into practical applications and contributions to country and sector strategies; interacts with clients at the policy level.
• Policy Dialogue Skills – Anticipates needs and requests in the field and conducts independent policy discussions with representatives of the government and non-government partners.
• Integrative Skills – Understands relevant cross-sectoral areas how they are interrelated; able to undertake cross-sectoral work in lending and non-lending operations.• Environmental Economics -Understanding of fundamental economic concepts relevant to environment.
• Environmental Policy, Strategy and Institutions – Solid understanding of environmental policies, strategies, institutions, and regulations.
• Environmental Sciences – Deep experience applying knowledge (soil science; water; ecosystems; conservation; agriculture concerns, etc.) to policy-related decisions and advice.
• Environmental Engineering – Deep experience applying knowledge in engineering to related environmental engineering and infrastructure projects.
• Environmental Safeguards – Experience successfully applying the environmental safeguard (risk management) policies.
• Environment / Climate / Carbon Finance – Solid knowledge of a wide range of financing alternatives; can propose solutions to most environmental financing needs.
• Project Design for Impact and Sustainability – Investment Lending – Contributes to the design of projects and programs, based on an understanding of the country and sector context.
• Sector Dialogue – Investment Lending – Able to conduct a dialogue with the client on familiar topics, with a narrow scope, based on a solid understanding of the sector.
• Operational Project Management – Demonstrates in depth knowledge and understanding of project management tools & methodologies, resource management, and stakeholder communications.
• Team Leadership – Leads teams to achieve challenging outcomes, providing a role model and enhancing the team-leadership skills of team members.
• Client Orientation – Maintains client relationships in the face of conflicting demands or directions and provides evidence-based advice and solutions based on sound diagnosis and knowledge.
• Drive for Results – Identifies the needed resources to accomplish results involving multiple stakeholders and finds solutions to obstacles affecting key deliverables.
• Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion – Shows leadership in ensuring the team stays organized and focused, and actively seeks and considers diverse ideas and approaches.
• Knowledge, Learning and Communication – Leads in the sharing of best practice, trends, knowledge and lessons learned across units and with clients and partners, articulating ideas verbally and in writing in a clear and compelling way across audiences of varied levels.
• Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making – Gathers inputs, assesses risk, considers impact and articulates benefits of decisions for internal and external stakeholders over the long term.
The deadline to apply is January 26th 2018. Please send your CV and cover letter to Roberto Amorosino firstname.lastname@example.org
We would like to encourage Korean professionals to consider this opportunity and also any suitable vacancies currently advertised in the context of the Korea Recruitment Drive. Please find the relevant link: http://www.worldbank.org/en/about/careers/programs-and-internships/korean-recruitment-drive